haycock Historical Society
haycock Historical Society
Haycock Mountain was a popular place for picnics in 1900s.
The army corps of engineers built the towner in 1930 to use in surveying the area.
The tower was abandoned after the surveying work was completed and it became a place for the neighboring children to climb.
This photo was taken before the creation of Nockamixon State Part.
Picture of two of the last inhabitant of Danielstown.
Postcard created by Arnold bors. of an old log cabin in Danielstown.
St. Paul's Evangelical Luthern Church had its origin in the year 1852. There are apparently no records of what transpired in the first three years of the organization's existence. The church was built and the congregation organized in 1855 by The Rev. C. P. Miller. It has been located on its present site since that time, on Old Bethlehem Road in Applebachsville, Haycock Township, Bucks County,
The Catholic Religion was brought to Haycock Township in 1737 by two brothers from Ireland,
Painting of the Latvian Baptist Church by Florence Fluck.
Several years ago (1936-7) a number of Mission Minded young men canvassed the Haycock Community, from Doylestown and the Quakertown Highway moving eastward toward the Haycock Mountain After making a few contacts, they found that a number of families were interested in Sunday School and church work, but were denied these privileges because of poverty or no means of transportation to the church with which they were formerly connected and therefore discontinued church affiliation.
The first Sunday School was held in a home and continued there for several weeks until the home became to small for the number of attendees. After a search of the area for a larger gathering place, it was suggested to contact the Haycock School board for use of a school. We were granted permission to use New Harrisburg School. We meet at the school every Sunday afternoon for jour years.
Attendance increased and the school was filled to capacity as some times there were 100 people in the one room school. In 1941 the Franconia Mission Board saw the need for a church in the community. A building was constructed on land about 1 1/2 miles from Applebachsville on Mission Road, with the capacity of about 175 people.
The Mennonite Church also had a two-week Bible School with attendance of 91 the first year and each year more children attended.
Many people have fond memories of attending the Mennonite Bible School.
Excerpts from a note by Stanley Beidler, written about 1950.
"During the colonial and revolutionary eras in American history, inland travel was show, difficult, and expensive. The "King's Highways" established by Pennsylvania's colonial governments followed and improved ancient Indian paths, but hardly allowed for freight wagons or anything veyond single-file trains of pack-horses. Inhabitants of the colony were required, by a law passed in 1683, to work on the construction of roads and bridges or pay a fee, but maintenance of the "King's Highways" was sporadic. Beginning in the 1790s, Pennsylvania and the rest of the new nation embarked on a massive road-building campaign to improve inland trade and open marketplaces in hard-to-reach areas."
The Springhouse Bethlehem Turnpike Company 1805Download PDF
Copyright © 2020 Haycock Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder