One of the original land owners in Haycock ( at the time not a township) was Silas McCarty. On November 2, 1737, Silas applied for a land warrant of 150 acres in Bucks County. Four years later July 21, 1741 he applied for another land warrant of 100 acres in Bucks County. This land was bordered on the west by the Logan tract, Bryan tract on the south and Jacob Strawn on the east. Later when the area became Haycock Township this tract of land fell within the borders of the township.
In 1722, Silas McCarty(1700-1750) married Sarah Carrell,(1700-1760) daughter of James and Sarah (Dungan) Carrell, of Warminster and granddaughter of Rev. Thomas Dugan the founder and pastor of the first Baptist Church in Bucks county started in 1684.
It is written in Davis's history that Silas probably came to Pennsylvania around 1722 as there was a large migration of Scott Irish to the new world at that time. No written record has been found of his crossing. The assumption is that he was a Presbyterian by faith. Philadelphia was a major port city at this time in 1700 with a population of 2500. By 1722 the population had increased to around 5,000.
Silas and Sarah had ten children and all appear to have survived to adulthood. The one child we are most interested in for this article is Benjamin. He married Margaret Walton in 1757, he not being a Quaker, she was disowned for marriage to him. Benjamin is said to have worked one of the farms on the Logan Track in Richland Township. This was a thousand acre area that butted up against the McCarty track on the west side. In the will of William Logan, February 2, 1787, the tracts farmed by Benjamin McCarty and Isaac Walton Jr. were given to his daughter Sarah wife of Thomas Fisher. At this time Thomas and Sarah convey 194 acres of this tract to Benjamin McCarty who remained on the farm until his death in 1794.
Benjamin (1731-1794) and Margaret Walton (1736-1794) had eleven children, 3 sons, 7 girls and then another son. The connection between Muncy PA and the vicinity of Haycock begins with these four sons, Silas, William, Isaac, and Benjamin. I first came across this connection while reading about Silas McCarty, Sr. in the book Early friends Families of Upper Bucks, by Clarence V. Roberts. My first thoughts were, why Muncy, this is the year 1786-87? Muncy is 133 miles from Quakertown and in 1787 traveling to the area would not be easy. The Muncy historical society has a publications called "Now and Then," published at Muncy, Pa. years 1888, 1889, 1891, 1892 in which is published an account of four young men from Richland of the Quaker extraction who went to the area which became Muncy. These were the four sons of Benjamin and Margaret (Walton). Also included in this group was David Lloyd, married to Margaret a sister of the four brothers, and two members of the Walton family.
Muncy was on the map at this time but not called Muncy. The area was on the "frontier " of English settlement. One of the earliest settlers was John Brady (1733- 1779) who was a captain in the Scotch-Irish and German forces west of the Alleghenies under colonel Henry Bouquet in his expeditions during the French and Indian War and had received a grant of land with the other officer's in payment for his services. In 1776, John Brady built a large house on this property and constructed a 12 foot high log stockade around the perimeter.
During the American Revolution, Brady was a captain in the 12th Pennsylvania Regiment and was wounded at the battle of Brandywine. His son, John, a boy of 15 years, stood in the ranks with a rifle and was also wounded. Sam, his eldest son, was in another division. During this time, most of the men in the region were involved in the Revolutionary War, leaving the area vulnerable to Indian attacks. When a cry for help went up from the sparsely settled frontier, General George Washington mustered out several officers to organize a defense of the area.
Captain John Brady was one of the officers mustered out and soon after the Battle of Brandywine, he came home in the fall of 1777. His stockade quickly became a place of refuge to the families within reach. On April 11, 1779, taking a wagon and a guard, he made a trip up the river to Wallis to procure supplies. On his return, he was killed by Indians. His body was retrieved, brought to the fort and soon after interred in the Muncy burying ground, some four miles from his home.
By the summer most of the people in the area had left. On July 8, 1779, Smith's Mill at the mouth of the White Deer Creek was burned, and on the 17th, Muncy Valley was destroyed. Starrett's Mills and all the principal houses in Muncy Township were also burned along with Forts Muncy, Brady, Freeland, and Sunbury.
Ten years later 1787-88 these seven young men decided to go to the Lycoming Valley. William and Benjamin bought and divided the 300 acres known as the John Brady Tract in the Manor of Muncy and after a few years began laying out the first lots that became the town of Muncy.
The area grew slowly and by 1827 had a population of 600. The first name chosen for the borough was Pennsborough, this was later changed to Muncy to perpetuate the name of the tribe that first dwelt there, a tribe of Lenape, named Monseys.
The four sons were Silas (1758-1813), Isaac (1760-1847, Benjamin (1763-1828), William (1766-1813) and daughter Margaret (1772-1848) married to David Lloyd.
Information taken from the book Early friends Families of Upper Bucks, by Roberts
and the Muncy PA website.
By Pat DeWald, Haycock Historical Society